A Reflection on iPads

Jenna Boden

The graduating class of 2019 is the first to have iPads for all four years. There are many differing opinions on the educational value of using these devices. We interviewed some seniors to see what they thought about the iPads, and what they would suggest.

A lot of research has proven that iPads benefit the classroom. Ashley Wainwright, a marketing coordinator for a company that sells iPads, states that the use of iPads “open up a whole new world of engagement, personalized learning, and collaboration in the classroom.” They prove that the benefit of using technology is that it improves kids focus, individualizes learning, and helps with time management. Group projects, presentations, and student participation increase when using technology in high school.

Seniors Chase Boden and Ethan Richard agree that the iPads have helped with their organization and they like the apps that were available to them. Richard thought the iPad enhanced his learning because of the easy access to different apps and the internet that was readily available.

“Organization was definitely a major plus for me. I’m not normally an organized person, but using the iPad helped keep everything in one place,” Boden said. “I liked Notability and that I never lost any papers or anything.”

However, there is research that argues something totally different. Susan Greenfield, a writer for Psychology Today, believes that technology in the classroom is not as effective as others suggest. She writes that “there is no long-term, large-scale, scientific study assessing the iPad as a tool for learning.”

Seniors Ashlynn Boyd and Jessica Datema would agree. They both believe that would learn better with paper and pencil rather than technology. Many teachers have students write things down in order to remember things better and that using paper rather than the iPads will enhance learning. Not only have iPads not been tested over a long period of time, but it also comes with the disadvantage of technology problems. Both Boyd and Datema had lots of problems with the Wi-Fi or websites that got in the way of their schoolwork.

In conclusion, there are many different opinions about whether the iPads are useful to students at Ridge. While some preferred the devices, there were also a lot of complaints. There are many advantages and disadvantages to having individual technology in high school, but in the end it’s all about personal preference and learning style.