Behind the Scenes of The Spring Musical

Paula Bondeson and Chloe Merriweather

Many students attend the Mountain Ridge plays each semester, but few get to see exactly what goes on to produce such an elaborate performance. Students involved in theater share some of their most exciting moments backstage and during rehearsals. The community that they have established behind the scenes is what makes a successful performance on stage such a rewarding experience. The second semester spring musical, Cinderella, is underway. Actors are memorizing lines, the set is being built, and costumes are being designed.

Actors

Before any of the set or costumes are designed, there must be actors cast into each role. Actors audition with a prepared monologue and eagerly wait for a response from Ms. Nardone about callbacks. During callbacks, actors are asked to showcase more specific talents, like vocals or dancing that could help place them in the role that is best for them.

Mountain Ridge Senior Emma Van Horn says that when practicing lines, “The biggest challenge is composing the accent throughout because you could say it so many different ways as well as interpreting the lines. Comedic timing is also hard.”

Each actor plays a role slightly different and finding the best way to portray a certain line can be challenging.

“With a lot of practice after 4 years it takes me roughly an hour to memorize my lines,” said Emma Van Horn.

Rehearsals can happened three to five times a week. Depending on your job or role it can take more or less. This practice is necessary to fully perfect each performance.

Rachel Delaney says, “Every time you go to rehearsals it’s like you have a job to do, but it’s the job you love to do.”

Though the time commitment is pretty intense, most people are glad to show up to rehearsals and help with any part of the play they can.

Mountain Ridge Junior, Rachel Delaney shared, “I’ve learned a lot about team work because I used to be super reserved and not want to work with anybody but once you’re in a group of people that care about the same thing at the same time, all of our minds and all of our creativity just come together to make an amazing performance.”

Many students in theater expressed that being a part of the play has taught them how to work on a team. Putting on a performance with other people requires strong communication skills and the willingness to incorporate everybody’s ideas. Many people who used to struggle to share their ideas have found their voice in theater.

Set & Crew

“The environment is unique with a bunch of different types of people all here for the same goal: to put on a piece of art for everybody” Tyler Thomas, MRHS Junior.

Anyone can join theater crew. It is a welcoming activity available for people with many talents. There are several sub-crews, such as set, paint, publicity, and video. You are assigned a specific crew but if one needs more help then all are welcome to help out.

“Our deadlines are a little odd because the main deadline is the show, so if we are able to build it by the show, then we do it,” said Rachel Delaney

Some of the most dedicated kids are in theater. They spend hours and hours after school into the evening as well as on the weekends building sets and practicing lines. A perk to working these hours is that after 100 hours the students are able to join the Thespian society.

“Helping to put together the show is almost better than being on stage because you know you are a part of it without being up front and center,” said Rachel Delaney.

When the audience watches the musical, they see the beautiful lively sets and incredible actors but what they don’t see are the theater crew. Most of the crew has performed in previous plays and decided to try something new, which they have said is sometimes better than performing.

Costume Design

“One of the best experiences is after we’ve put together all the costumes and the all the different aspects of the show and we see people in their costumes and feel good in the, so do we,” said Tyler Thomas

In charge of costumes is Emma Van Horn who is also playing the Queen. People from outside the department, such as , comes in to help. Many people are a part of creating the costumes.

Tyler Thomas said “We must focus on the time era to see if our ideas match because we are trying to keep the theme of the show. We take so many Goodwill trips with the help from parents to accomplish making costumes. It may take, taking a scrap from one costume to finish another.”

Sound Booth

“Watching from the sound booth is an interesting experience because you get a unique perspective of watching the play and watching people work,” said Rachel Delaney

The view from the booth is rewarding because you can see the audiences’ reaction of the show that has had so much work put into.

“There’s huge light boards and sound boards and just so much technical equipment,” said Tyler Thomas.

There is a set of mics keeping the people in the booth in contact with back stage during the show. The perspective from the sound booth takes a lot of responsibility considering whoever is up there controls the lighting and music of the show.

From the rise of the curtains to the end of the show, tech crews are busy making sure the sets, costumes, and timing of the music and lighting all look seamless during the performance. These students devote much of their effort and talent to make the school plays well put together and enjoyable for the audience. When you’re raving about the talented actors and actresses, be sure to also give credit to the technical crew who make the show so elaborate and lively!