Peyton Schneider: Running to Success

Ava Padelford, Co-Editor

Peyton Schneider, junior at Mountain Ridge, just wrapped up a successful cross country season. 

He won first place in Districts at Skunk Creek on October 22nd for the boys cross country team. He ran a 5k (3.11 miles) in 16 minutes and 28 seconds. Saturday, November 13th, Schneider placed 10th at the D1 State Championship with a time of 16 minutes and 36 seconds. 

Schneider worked all season to get to the state championship and finish in the top 10, so he was not surprised by his results.

“When you know you work hard at all times, it’ll only pay off in a positive way. Use everything you have and leave everything on the course and don’t worry about everyone else,” Schneider said. 

Aside from Schneider’s great time comes his hard work and dedication to improve. He made sure to stay determined which allowed him to push to achieve his goals.  

“I stayed positive and always was confident in my ability to run the way I run and can run for the future,” he mentioned. 

Aside from the mental part of being a distance runner comes the physical experience that is exhausting and extremely difficult. Schneider learned breathing techniques and proper form to better his quality of running and strongly encourages others beginning to run to do the same. He focused on one thing at a time and then was able to piece it all together. Schneider practices for multiple hours a week and does several workouts to build and maintain his strength.

At Districts, Schneider was all about having a positive mindset. Running isn’t just about physical strength but also about mental strength. He had to have confidence in himself that he can create an all time best for himself. As he ran, he passed all kinds of runners but an O’Connor runner stood out to him. He kept an eye on the runner, and was able to watch him to make sure he didn’t get ahead.

In the AIA Sectionals, Schneider received a time of 15.57 for the 5k, a new personal record. He paced 42nd in all of AIA Arizona, 22nd in all of AIA Arizona D1 and 8th in his section. He is extremely proud of his new PR and hopes to get even better. 

“I learned that anything’s possible if you work for it and you can stay positive and motivated towards your goals,” Schneider shared. 

Schenider is on a journey to success and these new personal records are just the beginning of his running career. He knows his hard work will pay off and will allow him to receive new opportunities and chances in his life after high school. 

“I’m happy doing what I’m doing and it’ll continue to happen and I’ll continue to evolve in the sports of cross country and track and field,” Schenider shared.