Track and Field 2022

Ava Padelford, Co-Editor

It’s finally that time of the year where spring sports are rolling in fast. Athletes have been training for this and have been anxiously waiting for it to begin. Track and field tryouts will be held on February 7th from right after school till around 4:30-5pm. All athletes need to bring a change of clothes, good running shoes and water to the tryouts. 

I have been running track since freshman year and every year, the first day is always an easy and smooth introduction to the season. You aren’t expected to have spikes unless you are returning from previous years. There are a few weeks to get back into the groove of things before the first meet. 

Every year there is a fundraiser to support the team and there are rewards for athletes who raise a certain amount of money. It’s a great way to provide new equipment and gear. 

The practices are split up into several parts. First, everyone sits on the bleachers and checks in with their assigned coach to ensure they showed up. Then, as a team, we all run two laps around the track and go straight into warm up lines where we do dynamic stretches. After, everyone splits into their event and each individual coach has something in store for each group. 

There are so many cool events and the coaches for each one are very encouraging. Each group does their own workout. The distance runners typically run a few miles or have an intense workout to help with endurance. Throwers spend quality time perfecting their throwing technique and are also in the weight room. High jump, long jump, triple jump, hurdles, and pole vault all have separate workouts too. Each event is challenging in their own ways.

I am a sprinter and we typically start with more dynamic movements that mimic sprinting and help us with our form. We then run a few grass strides on the football field and grab our spikes. Depending on the day, the main workout for practice could be extremely long and challenging, or more simple. Mondays are by far the hardest days. These are our speed days which include sprinting multiple distances multiple times. You do, however, feel so amazing and extremely proud of yourself after finishing. Then the next practice is a bit easier and more laid back. 

Track is something I look forward to every year and it is a great way to spend my time. It’s a no cut sport and every event has a great coach who is passionate about helping their athletes get better and reach their highest potential. If you are considering, definitely come out and try this year’s 2022 track and field season. You won’t regret it.