Tips to Transition Into a New School Year

Lauren Loper, Journalist

As summer sadly comes to an end, school is back in session. There are so many new adjustments with the start of a new year: new classes, people, curriculum, and routine can cause anxieties and or excitement. The transition is easy for some but harder for others, but with some guidance it can be a little easier. 

I would stay up so late during summer and would sleep late into the day. Obviously with school, going to bed at 2 am and waking up at noon isn’t an option.  I got used to that schedule over time, so I would never be tired by the time I should be going to bed for school. Only getting 5-6 hours of sleep was pretty rough for the first few days of school. The switch to a normal sleep schedule isn’t instant; it takes time. There are a few different ways to ease into this change.

Everyone loves sleep but most people don’t get enough of it. The recommended amount of sleep for teenagers/high school students is 8-10 hours a night. You might think it’s no big deal to be short every once in a while, but getting half of what you should almost everyday is an issue. To start off, the use of  technology can greatly affect your sleep, believe it or not. According to sleepfoundation.org, “The blue light emitted by many devices disrupts the natural production of melatonin,” (Technology in the Bedroom). Melatonin is a hormone made by your body that plays a role in sleep by regulating sleep-wake cycles. So, by using technology too soon before bed it will delay your sleep causing you to be up later and or have worse quality sleep. There are alternate things to do besides going on your phone such as reading a book, meditating, or playing some relaxing music/sounds etc. Sticking to a schedule will help train your body and mind to want to sleep at the proper time.

Waking up late, no appetite, whatever it is, people make so many excuses to not eat breakfast in the morning. While sleeping in over the summer, not everyone had breakfast super early like they would for school but breakfast is very important to endure a long school day. There are so many benefits to eating breakfast such as better concentration, increased energy, and studies show it’s even linked to improved test scores.  Better Health Channel states, “When you wake up from your overnight sleep, you may not have eaten for up to 10 hours. Breakfast replenishes the stores of energy and nutrients in your body.” Without eating in the morning you’ll feel sluggish and fatigued all day until you eat something. Starting the day strong will benefit you over all in both physical and mental categories.

Now, focusing on the actual school aspect, you might be overwhelmed or scared to not know where your classes are or buildings. One of my favorite tricks, especially if you’re just starting at a new school, is to set your schedule as your lock screen on your phone for the start of school. Then you’ll have everything you need just by looking at the front of your phone when confused or in a rush. If your phone has the ability, you can get apps to add widgets to your home screens. This can be helpful because you can add the map of the campus or the bell schedule. For me, having everything in one place on my phone is just so simple and stress free because I always have it with me. Mentally, there’s a lot of anxieties surrounding being alone or not knowing anyone in classes. Just try to keep calm and remember everyone is in the same boat; nervous and looking for a friend. 

All in all, even though the transition can be difficult, eventually with time everything will be normal and in a solid routine. These tips might not work for everyone but they are a great place to start. Remember to keep a positive mindset this school year and try to stay on top of your work.