The Ridge Review

The Student News Site of Mountain Ridge High School | Glendale, Arizona

The Ridge Review

The Ridge Review

Jumbotron displaying march madness logo
1 in 9.2 Quintillion
Jenna Dudley, Editor in Chief • April 2, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Glendale

• 10 PM
    89 °
  • 11 PM
    87 °
  • 12 AM
    84 °
  • 1 AM
    86 °
  • 2 AM
    85 °
  • 3 AM
    76 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    81 °
  • 8 AM
    82 °
  • 9 AM
    76 °
  • 10 AM
    88 °
  • 11 AM
    91 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    95 °
  • 2 PM
    96 °
  • 3 PM
    103 °
  • 4 PM
    98 °
  • 5 PM
    98 °
  • 6 PM
    99 °
  • 7 PM
    96 °
  • 8 PM
    94 °
  • 9 PM
    92 °
  • 10 PM
    91 °
September 24
100°/ 72°
Sunny
September 25
103°/ 72°
Sunny
September 26
104°/ 72°
Sunny

“Die Hard”: To Be or Not to Be a Christmas Movie

As I wake up to darkness and the countdown to winter break is officially upon us all, the urge to revisit one of my favorite holiday movies returns.

A movie that screams holiday cheer with bright lights, star actors, and lines so memorable your body is almost compelled to repeat them, and all against a background similar to Arizona’s own hot winter months: “Die Hard!”

However, after I mention one of my favorite holiday movies, the argument soon arises: Is “Die Hard” a Christmas movie?

And so here I am, to defend my favorite Christmas movie released in July.

First, let me address the claims used against me, starting off with the original release date.

“Die Hard” was released on July 22nd, 1988. Many people constitute this as a prime reason against “Die Hard’s” Christmas movie status, but I beg to differ.

The creators of “Die Hard” knew, must have felt in their bones, the popularity this film would amass and decided to give some slack to the other holiday movies trying to make a profit during the winter season. As well, every big blockbuster is released in the summer: ET, Alien, The Dark Knight, Jaws, Iron Man. The creators, while wanting to give other holiday movies released in 1988 a chance to make some profit, also knew that “Die Hard” would stand amongst fellow blockbuster giants if released in the summer.

Another complaint thrust onto “Die Hard” is its brutality, as other holiday movies often lack that element.

You noticed my use of the word often, right?

That is because there are exceptions.

In fact, one exception made 476.4 million dollars at the box office upon release with arguably more brutality than “Die Hard”…”Home Alone.”
“Die Hard” dealt with a cop saving a company and all of their employees from armed robbers. Meanwhile, “Home Alone” featured a child committing wild acts of violence on robbers.

In which film did the protagonist initiate the violence? “Home Alone.”

Which film would affect more children and the way in which they behaved? “Home Alone.”

In which film did the protagonist lack the necessary background to be committing the acts required of them? “Home Alone.”

In this way, it can be easily seen that holiday movies can feature violent acts.

Now, here is how “Die Hard” proves its worth as a Christmas movie.

I will list only one reason, as it is the most important and only necessary reason:

John McClane travels from New York to California to see his wife and kids for Christmas.

There we go!

Christmas!

No further explanation is needed, but I will add more details.

The entirety of “Die Hard” takes place during a Christmas party, and that is a primary reason for the main villain of the movie, Hans Gruber, to begin the robbery at that time.

And with that, “Die Hard’s” legitimacy as a holiday movie is forever encapsulated within Mountain Ridge’s own Ridge Review.