The Ridge Review

The Student News Site of Mountain Ridge High School | Glendale, Arizona

The Ridge Review

The Ridge Review

Jumbotron displaying march madness logo
1 in 9.2 Quintillion
Jenna Dudley, Editor in Chief • April 2, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Glendale

• 10 PM
    89 °
  • 11 PM
    87 °
  • 12 AM
    84 °
  • 1 AM
    86 °
  • 2 AM
    85 °
  • 3 AM
    76 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    81 °
  • 8 AM
    82 °
  • 9 AM
    76 °
  • 10 AM
    88 °
  • 11 AM
    91 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    95 °
  • 2 PM
    96 °
  • 3 PM
    103 °
  • 4 PM
    98 °
  • 5 PM
    98 °
  • 6 PM
    99 °
  • 7 PM
    96 °
  • 8 PM
    94 °
  • 9 PM
    92 °
  • 10 PM
    91 °
September 24
100°/ 72°
Sunny
September 25
103°/ 72°
Sunny
September 26
104°/ 72°
Sunny

Ridge Rallies After Tragedy

How the Community is Coming Together to Support

On February 4th, Jaxson Elliot and Jett Weinstein, two students from Mountain Ridge, were involved in a horrific car accident. It resulted in Jaxon’s death and the hospitalization of Jett. In the wake of this tragedy, Mountain Ridge came together to bring support to all who are grieving.

The following Monday morning, there were CCV personnel for any student to talk to around the grassy knolls on campus. That same day Mountain Ridge student Diego Armenta made a GoFundMe page for Jett’s family.

“I created the GoFundMe page because I didn’t want Jett and his family to worry about the expenses of his medical bills and the accommodations they might have to adopt for Jett. I knew that other people that had heard the situation wanted to show support, but may not have felt comfortable sending Jett and his family a text/words of support, and that this could be a way to do that. Overall I wanted to help provide tangible relief to Jett and the whole Weinstein family,” said Diego.

The response garnered by this page was felt across the school, as many students donated to help and reposted the page for others to donate.

On this warm reception, Diego said, “I feel so grateful for the response it received. I knew it would be successful quickly, because of how many people were affected by the news and felt as though Jett is a friend, but I didn’t expect it to be as successful as it is. It shocked me and made me feel proud to be part of a community that can rally behind one of its own. I also felt grateful knowing that, through this GoFundMe, so many people were able to directly affect Jett’s healing journey.”

Faith has always brought people together in times of hardship. This time is no different.

Wednesday, February 7th, the Wednesday after the accident, Mountain Ridge gathered around 7 AM in front of the gym for a prayer huddle dedicated to Jaxon and Jett. A few hundred people came to show support and pray, according to those who helped organize the prayer huddle.

Paige Keaton, a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) who planned the huddle, spoke about the importance of this show of support.

“There has been a prayer huddle every Wednesday morning in front of the main gym for the past three years. We just specifically felt that this accident needed to be prayed over so that is what we did.”

Avery Marks, another leadership member of FCA, said that the week of the accident, the families were invited to join.

When asked about the impact this has on the community, Paige said, “I felt a sort of peace knowing that the community could come together in struggle to find hope in a Good God with Good plans, even if we don’t know what those plans are. I know the community as a whole has heavy hearts right now, I continue to pray that everyone can gather and find comfort in one another. Just knowing that God has a plan.”

Avery Marks brought a different perspective to the effects of the prayer huddle, specifically on students at Ridge.

“I think this just shows how precious a human life is,” Avery said. “No one really grasps the idea of death in high school until it affects someone directly. Now I think gratitude can begin to wash over this community simply for waking up every day and getting to go to school, see their friends, play their sport, etc. I just hope that our community can continue to rally around Jaxson’s friends and family and anyone affected by his passing, and that we can continue to pray for Jett’s recovery and that his health and happiness can thrive.”

Mountain Ridge came together to provide comfort to the families of Jaxson Elliot and Jett Weinstein. Many students took the initiative to hold out a helping hand for those who are deep in grief. The community at and around Mountain Ridge is one that is supportive. The tragic passing of Jaxson Elliot and Jett’s hospitalization is forever engraved in the hearts of everyone at Mountain Ridge, who continue to do good in their name.