The Ridge Review

The Student News Site of Mountain Ridge High School | Glendale, Arizona

The Ridge Review

The Ridge Review

Jumbotron displaying march madness logo
1 in 9.2 Quintillion
Jenna Dudley, Editor in Chief • April 2, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Glendale

• 10 PM
    89 °
  • 11 PM
    87 °
  • 12 AM
    84 °
  • 1 AM
    86 °
  • 2 AM
    85 °
  • 3 AM
    76 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    81 °
  • 8 AM
    82 °
  • 9 AM
    76 °
  • 10 AM
    88 °
  • 11 AM
    91 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    95 °
  • 2 PM
    96 °
  • 3 PM
    103 °
  • 4 PM
    98 °
  • 5 PM
    98 °
  • 6 PM
    99 °
  • 7 PM
    96 °
  • 8 PM
    94 °
  • 9 PM
    92 °
  • 10 PM
    91 °
September 24
100°/ 72°
Sunny
September 25
103°/ 72°
Sunny
September 26
104°/ 72°
Sunny

NLI Signing Day: Beyond Ridge Sports

Credit: Ridge Athletics

Throughout the early years of our lives and on through high school, many of us have developed a deep connection to one sport or another at some point. For many, sports take up a large majority of our afternoons, early mornings, and “free” weekends. The lessons and enjoyment that sports bring during these years is something that should never be taken for granted and for many, memories from these experiences will last a lifetime. However, as with many things, there is a time when your gears may need to shift in terms of where you take your life, and for most, sports come to an end after high school. But what about those who chose to continue? What about those who have had their eye set on their future sense when they first picked up a bat or kicked a soccer ball? Those who knew exactly what they wanted to work for and get to keep on doing what they love? Guilianna Wilson, Kaitlyn Pietrzykowsky, and Lincoln Baldonado are three amazing examples of Ridge athletes and students who are taking things to the next level.

Guilianna Wilson is a proud 4-year varsity starter, 2023 Offensive player of the year, Senior team captain, and has been chosen for the 2021, 2022, and 2023 1st Team All\ Region and will be attending Western New Mexico University.

Q: What is something you would tell someone starting the recruiting process?
A: If you’re starting the recruiting process, don’t get discouraged. Everyone has a different journey. Some athlete’s recruitment process is shorter and some are way longer. It’s not about if you’re going to play in college, it’s just about where. Everyone has a home and as soon as you step onto that campus you will know that’s where you want to spend your next 4 years. Just keep working on your craft and your time will come.

Q: How did your time playing at Ridge prepare you for the next level?
A: My time at Ridge helped me to prepare to play at the collegiate level in so many ways. As a freshman on Varsity playing with and competing against other D1 commits, you have to step up your game. You have to compete for your spot and compete to be seen. You have to compete for the best stats and compete for the state game.

Kaitlyn Pietrzykowsky is a 4-year Varsity athlete for Mountain Ridge soccer and a 6-year ECNL player who has committed to Cal Lutheran University.

A: The one thing I would tell upcoming recruits is that any division is a hard-earned opportunity. All divisions have over-the-top talent and coaching staff. The competition out of all divisions are top tier and anywhere you choose to go is such an achievement.

Q: What drove your decision to pursue playing at a particular level in college and what are you looking forward to at this next level?
A: My decision to pursue my committed college was mainly the location, coach, and environment of the team. The team was very welcoming the many times I went to visit as well as the coach especially. I am looking forward to improving my skills in soccer overall and earning my
starting position as a freshman.

Q: How do grades and academics play into the recruiting process?
A: Grades especially play a huge part in the recruiting process. Decent grades will improve certain scholarships including adding on to an athletic scholarship. Academics will initially pay for more expenses and better opportunities towards the next four years.

Lincoln Baldonado is proud to be committed to play Division 1 tennis for Queens University of Charlotte. He has made his mark at Mountain Ridge, with a 4.6 GPA, and is President of the Spanish Honor Society. He has made an even bigger mark on the Ridge tennis program. Lincoln has been #1 on Varsity for 4 years, team captain, and the 2023 High School Player of the Year.

Q: Who or what was your biggest support during the process leading to this next step?
A: My family was definitely my biggest support. Especially this last year. Each week I was playing somewhere across the country and my family members all took turns to travel with me. My parents have allowed me to have a lot of freedom with my tennis and choose whatever path I want. From when I quit soccer and went to a brand new sport of tennis, to when I told them I wanted to go online first semester and train for a month in South Carolina, they were right by my side. I am extremely lucky that my parents have put their emotional and financial faith into my sport.

Q: What’s one thing you would tell someone starting the recruiting process?
A: It’s never too early to start looking at your options, but also take your time. I see many kids rush and commit way too early. Take your time, take your visits, and find the right fit. Instead of focusing on committing so much by your junior year for example, focus on improving and the
offers will come!

When asked if there was anything he would like to add, Lincoln didn’t hesitate to offer congratulations to his fellow Ridge committees.

“A lot of kids quit their sports junior or senior year. So I just want to add how admirable it is to all the athletes at Ridge who have decided to continue and play at a higher level. It is a lot of hard work and sacrifice but by playing in college you are making it all worth it. I have only heard amazing things about collegiate sports. So congratulations to all the committees this year!”