What are Cords?

Gayathri Ramadurgum

Each semester, Mountain Ridge gives out cords to students who have been successful in their education. The cords students earn throughout their high school years will be worn at their graduation ceremony. The freshmen will receive their cords at a ceremony on February 22nd, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.

The four different cords a student can receive are based on the grades they earned in the semester. The Gold cord is given to students who have all A’s and B’s in honors classes. The Burgundy cord is given to students who have A’, B’s and honor C’s with a 4.0 or better GPA. The Green cord in given to students who have A’s, B’s and honor C’s with a 3.5-3.9 GPA and the Silver cord is given to students who have A’s. B’s, and honor C’s with a 3.0-3.4 GPA. Cords are given once a year to freshmen for their first semester grades, but for sophomores, juniors, and seniors, cords are given twice a year- once at the beginning of each semester.

The freshmen are given their cord at a special assembly that is hosted by the school. The ceremony is held in the auditorium in the second semester where each freshman is called up individually to receive their cord. For all other grades, a table set up during lunch where students can pick up their cords. Every student will get a cookie with the cord they receive. The purpose of the occasion is to help welcome the students to High School and to educate them about the cod system. This assembly motivates the freshman to work harder and to keep up their good work for the upcoming years. Well done to all the students who will be receiving a cord for this semester.