The Ridge Review

The Student News Site of Mountain Ridge High School | Glendale, Arizona

The Ridge Review

The Ridge Review

Jumbotron displaying march madness logo
1 in 9.2 Quintillion
Jenna Dudley, Editor in Chief • April 2, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Glendale

• 10 PM
    89 °
  • 11 PM
    87 °
  • 12 AM
    84 °
  • 1 AM
    86 °
  • 2 AM
    85 °
  • 3 AM
    76 °
  • 4 AM
    84 °
  • 5 AM
    83 °
  • 6 AM
    72 °
  • 7 AM
    81 °
  • 8 AM
    82 °
  • 9 AM
    76 °
  • 10 AM
    88 °
  • 11 AM
    91 °
  • 12 PM
    96 °
  • 1 PM
    95 °
  • 2 PM
    96 °
  • 3 PM
    103 °
  • 4 PM
    98 °
  • 5 PM
    98 °
  • 6 PM
    99 °
  • 7 PM
    96 °
  • 8 PM
    94 °
  • 9 PM
    92 °
  • 10 PM
    91 °
September 24
100°/ 72°
Sunny
September 25
103°/ 72°
Sunny
September 26
104°/ 72°
Sunny

What the Super Bowl LVIII Victory Means for the Kansas City Chiefs

Photo by Dave Adamson on Unsplash

Whether you are an avid sports fan or indifferent to sports completely, there are some teams that have cemented their place in history and have become impossible to forget. Through remarkable feats of athletic domination, they have made their mark not only in the world of sports, but often in media and pop culture. These dynasties have played in a league of their own, creating memorable eras and records that will not be broken anytime soon.

One of the most recognizable dynasties in sports history is the 1990s Chicago Bulls. Headlined by Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman, this impressive team was unrivaled, winning six NBA titles in eight years. More recent times in the NBA have brought the Warriors dynasty, boasting a record of four national titles in seven years. College football has just seen the end of a decade-long domination by head coach Nick Saban at the University of Alabama, whose tenure brought nine SEC championships, six national titles, and a 206-29 record.

Another famous reign in sports is the New England Patriots dynasty, where quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick won six rings over 20 years. And it seems that it could be time for Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs to carry out a similar legacy.

In the 2003-2004 seasons, the Patriots completed back-to-back Super Bowl wins. The Chiefs are the first team to accomplish this since then, winning in 2023 and now in 2024.

The victory they secured on Sunday is their third Super Bowl win in the last five years. The question of whether or not the Chiefs have earned a dynasty status arose, and the answer seems to be a clear yes.

Aside from their record which speaks for itself, the strength of the team’s roster shows their legitimacy for this new title. The standout young quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, has been breaking records since he came into the league and has proven himself time and time again. The rest of the roster has talent and depth whether it comes from TE Travis Kelce, WR Isaiah Pacheco, or DT Chris Jones.

The Chiefs have also been able to overcome quite a few obstacles in the last season. From the drama surrounding Kelce and Taylor Swift to having the most dropped passes in the league, the team has been under pressure to perform all season. Even in the Super Bowl, the Chiefs found themselves down by seven and were forced to go into OT. Yet, despite these challenges, the Chiefs found themselves victorious yet again.

After an overtime Super Bowl victory, it appears that the Kansas City Chiefs have solidified their place as a dynasty, and will hunt for the league’s first-ever three-peat.